Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Stand By Your Man

I could almost hear Patsy Cline crooning Stand By Your Man, as I watched the morning news, Silva Spitzer, the latest devoted wife stood one step behind her husband, Eliot Spitzer. Her glance shifted from the scripted speech he was reading to his face. Maybe she was searching for a fragment of truth, or perhaps she was just shocked at his chutzpah. He stood pretending to be humble as he expressed his regrets.

One had to wonder if he was sincerely sorrowful for hurting his wife or for getting caught? C'mon! The Emperors Club! Estimates of as high as $80,000 spent on visits with VIP call girls!

How did Mrs. Spitzer muster the strength? We see it over and over as our elected officials are unlawfully unfaithful. Their wives standing bravely behind them. Have they all signed prenups that promise to never kill, maim or defame their men?

Call me weak, but at times like this I can really get behind Lorena Bobbit and that women who drove over her husband once or twice.

Whether one chooses to stand by or stomp on their man, one has to ask why it is expected of women to accept the public humiliation of being lied to and cheated on by their beloved husbands?

For today, I can only hope that the Emperor gets new shoes, prison issue!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Eleanor,
    I enjoyed reading your blog, but I must say, You have more wrinkles than I do.
    But, your real picture is my beautiful baby.
    I agree with you on your new article. If I were his wife, I wouldn't be standing by his side, because he would be in the hospital.
    Keep up the good work! God Bless you. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eleanor,
    You know it sends a sad, sad message to the young women of the world. Double standards are the norm and totally acceptable. Does Spitzer have daughters? What must THEY think? And better still, what were HER experiences as a child that make her think that it's okay to be shitted on?! In public OR private! Okay...excuse my language, but, the more I type, the angrier I get.
    In Silva Spitzer's defense...Hmmm...I HAVE NONE.
    Okay, yes I do. Whose to say what is really going on in their house?? She may just be in "shock". Hit by a Mack Truck after who knows how many years of marraige. She just needs a minute to come to her senses. And then there's the other defense...maybe they have an agreement. Like, I love you, but, your kinky and I don't care where you get it, just don't come to my room.
    Is it true that the Clintons don't sleep together? How common is that? I just learned that a friend of mine doesn't sleep in the same room with her husband because of the baby, and his snoring. Personally, I think they're just in denial...it's really a sex (or NO sex) issue.
    Back to Spitzer. The truth is, we don't know the details of their life and never will (unless she writes a tell tale book!) I respect WHATEVER arrangement people come up with as long as they're happy. It's only a problem if someone is being lied to and decceived. And unfortunately in our society, I think it's more lies and deception.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it is time arrangements or No, that these women stop sitting in silence as there high profile husbands say I'm sorry I had an affair.
    For the very reason of the very poor example they are setting for the rest of us. Young men get the message that it is okay to do this and young women get the message that it is okay to sit there and take it.
    Since none of us ever know what happens in these peoples private worlds all we have is surface appearance. And what it appears to be on the surface is yet another women saying I will support you in whatever you dish out to me.
    BULL!!!!
    And that, brings me to another point, even if these people have arrangements they should be aplogizing publically to their wives every chance that they get. Not to their families. To their wives specifically, who for some reason or another have signed up for this crap and now are suffering public humiliation along with their man.
    It is time that these people act like big boys and stop using their wives to make them look good.
    If they have any arrangement I am sure it doesn't say go do what you want out in the world, don't come in the bedroom to me, but when you get caught I will stand by you as all the world watches you admit you are the very slimeball you have been prosecuting all along and I get to look like a idiot. Or then, maybe it does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Estizer makes a good point in that we will probably never know what Silva Spitzer's position really is. Perhaps there was an arrangement. People come up with all kinds of strange ways to make marriage work, however... given the public nature of the lives of politicians, and their position as exemplary leaders in this society, I believe it is their responsibility to behave in ways that don't come round to shame them, and by association all of us. That said, I can think of no good reason for Mrs. Spitzer to "stand by her man." even if she chooses to stay with him. There is a difference.

    ReplyDelete