Monday, March 17, 2008

Meet Estizer

Within 15 minutes of meeting Estizer, I knew that she was suffering from the sudden loss of her mother. And, she knew that I can't imagine what I will ever do without mine.

So it is with Estizer...........

With that in mind, I share my attempt to wrinkle Estizer and her letter to me. Enjoy!




Eleanor,

I was looking in the mirror and it felt kind of surreal because I felt like I was looking at the same face that I looked at when I was 16. Well, I'm 45 next month, so, that's not possible. It made me wonder, am I changing and I'm just not capable of seeing it?? THAT, made me even more curious. Dammit, I want to know what I'm gonna look like. I want it slooowly. I don't want to wake up one day and...BAM...I'm old!!

So I came to you :) Eleanor...make me wrinkle!! And this was the best you could do :( I gotta tell ya, you really let me down. That's okay Eleanor, it's probably not your fault. We can blame it on my Mom.

It's my Mom's fault for two reasons...genetics, and attitude. I never pondered the state of my Mother's beauty, but I do know that she never, ever worried about it. That's where the "attitude" part comes in. My Mother thought she was beautiful until the day she died at age 87. And she was. NOW, what I find interesting is that I see pictures of her, in those last years and I SEE the changes. They now appear drastic to me. Why didn't I see them then? Hmmm, I think I couldn't because of love. What I saw, I saw with my heart.

So do I not see my own aging because I see myself with my "heart"? That is possible. We learn many things from our Mothers. Case and point: I EXPECT to be beautiful when I get old! I'm actually looking forward to it. I see beautiful women in public places with hair that is grey and faces that are worn, yet there is a radiance that comes from them, and I've thought...WOW, I'm gonna look like THAT when I'm old!!

So yes, one of the many things I learned from my Mother was, to love myself. It doesn't mean I'll be wrinkle free...it just means that I'll always be able to see the "beauty" that radiates from them first.

Estizer

To learn more about Estizer check out her journey at http://estizer50.wordpress.com/

5 comments:

  1. A mother's love...there is nothing like it..how fortunate for those of us who have it... It is through her eyes that we begin to see ourselves.... It is only when we see ourselves through our own eyes that we have difficulty... Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a quite different take on Mother's love, but that is another topic! I love this shot of Estizer!!!
    I am so excited to see your project growing, and am thrilled that I will be a part of it. As I embark on my own project of a similar nature, you are a huge inspiration!!! I am proud to know you Eleanor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words are so true. I think when you truly love someone you are almost blinded to the outer person and see the true beauty of their heart and soul. I always love your writing and am so glad I was your pupil.

    Sherwana S.

    ReplyDelete